As the season is turning into winter and we’re expecting at least some snow also in Ljubljana, I decided for another Do-It-Yourself project. Recently I’ve been finding trail running more and more appealing and since the snow usually covers also all nearby off-road trails (i.e. Rožnik, Topol, Šmarna gora, Rašica..) I opted to made my own trail-running gaiters to keep the snow from entering on top of my shoes. I asked google some questions, it provided me with plenty pictures and while adding some of my own ideas, this is what came out. It basically took me about an hour of sewing per 1 piece, so in about 2 hours I had my own gaiters. Of course I won’t win any beauty contests, but as Emil Zatopek said “It is not gymnastics or ice skating you know”.
- 2 pieces of approx. 25 x 45 cm of suitable fabric, best if at least water-repellent. I managed to get this polyester fabric with perfect disguise pattern.
- 2 pieces of approx. 20 x 4 cm elastic.
- Sewing kit and a couple of safety pins.
- Elastic string for attachment under foot.
- 4 shoe eyelets and eyelet pliers.
- approx. 2 hours